What are coils and how long do coils last? Most seasoned vapers know that coils play a significant role in all vaping devices. But how long do they last and what can we do to extend their life? These questions and more will be answered in this article. Of course, factors such as how often you vape and the setting at which you vape will play a role in coil life, but this is a general overview of vaping coils.
What is Vaping?
What is vaping? Vaping has become increasingly popular in everyday communities, yet there is a vast majority of people that still don't know what vaping is exactly. Based on research conducted by the Center on Addiction, Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling the aerosol or vapor, which is produced by an e-cigarette or similar device. So in layman terms, vaping is simply the use of a device that allows you to exhale clouds of smoke. Vaporizers (or vapes) work by vaporizing ingredients without burning them, resulting in a safer experience when compared to smoking cigarettes. This is because Vaping has less toxic chemicals than in cigarettes; however, there are still trace toxins in vaping. Many people think vaping is just pure water vapor. It is a mixture of Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG).
Within the atomizer or the vaporizers, there are coils that are essential for the vaping process. The coils act almost like a stovetop in the manner that it is used for cooking, and it is used to cook and vaporize the e-liquid placed within it. Depending upon how many coil heads are within will determine how much vapor production, as well as flavor quality one, will receive while vaping.
How do I know I need to replace my coil?
In order to know when to replace your coils, you'd need to be able to figure out how long do coils last? Based upon the frequency one uses their atomizer, a new coil will typically last around two weeks. This may vary, however depending on how an individual takes care of their coil as well. Once the coil begins to go bad, there are a few telltale signs to look for. The first of which is you'll notice the flavor of your selected e-liquid begins to taste burnt. Other ways to tell if its time to replace your coil would be checking visually if the coil appears black and fried or has excess burnt prime around it. If you can physically see any of these signs, then it's highly recommended to replace your coil to get the best vaping experience.
How long do coils last?
So how long do coils last exactly? Well as previously stated your typical coil will last about two weeks. However, if an individual doesn't vape often, this can be significantly reduced. By not vaping frequently, this can increase the coil life to around 3 to even 5 weeks. Another way to improve the life of a coil would be the proper maintenance of your coil. We here at the ProVapor family have compiled research to get the best out of your coils and help maximize your vaping experience.
How to take care of your coils?
There are several different ways one would be able to extend the life of their coils. The most efficient way to extend the coils' life is by priming them before usage.
- The first step in priming your coil is to take droplets of your e-liquid and inserting them into the holes on the side of the coil. Make sure to add the liquid into these holes directly. This will saturate the wick and also do not forget to place the liquid in the top as well.
- Once this is done, it is recommended to allow it to settle in for about 10-15 minutes before usage. This will enable the best results and life of your coil.
- The next step in caring for your coil is for proper cleaning methods, some coils are reusable and to clean it first you would let it soak in grain alcohol (do not use rubbing alcohol) for about 6-12 hours
- Next, rinse in warm water and then let it soak in warm water for about 3 hours, finally allow it to dry out in a paper towel for about 24 hours. Mind you this will not fully restore the coil, but it will recover it enough to get about 2-3 life cycles.
- Finally, we will go over how to install a coil. First, you'd need to unscrew the tank or remove the top cap depending on your atomizer. Next, unscrew the old coil and screw in the replacement then prime the coil as stated in steps 1 and 2.
So as stated throughout this article coils can last anywhere from 1-5 weeks depending on usage level and proper care practices. We here at the ProVapor family, however, recommend replacing your coils every 2 weeks to get the best possible vaping experience. However, if you're trying to save money from constantly replacing the coils and would like to extend your coils life then make sure to follow the caring for your coil procedures. So how long do coils last is completely dependent upon the user of the coils. We at the ProVapor family appreciate you taking the time to read about how long coils last, and don't forget to read our in-depth analysis of how to extend coil life.